Thursday, June 11, 2009

Henekis

I have always tried (and failed) to describe what camp means to me. In a world where everything shifts, changes, moves and/or goes away camp has always been a constant in my life (much like the love that I receive from the people that often are my company). It is the place I go that has held me throughout the years. It is where my happiest childhood memories took place and the place that I have spent the most time dreaming of my future. When I am at camp I hold on to every moment for its vast depth.
I have somehow managed to develop into the type of person who is constantly on the go - busy, moving, consumed. Sometimes I forget to just sit with myself and breath. As much as camp has always been about the company and love that I am surrounded by it has also always been that space of calm where I remember to breathe. Camp is where my sorrow seems tolerable and my laughter comes from the deepest places of my being. 
I can’t speak of camp without speaking of the water! I need water, crave to be surrounded by water, find sanity in the water! There is no water that fulfills that for me more than our lake. True meditation to me is lying perfectly still on top of the water, ears submerged, focusing on my breathing to keep me afloat with muffled voices and laughter in the air above me. Oh those voices and laughter! They are the treat waiting for me.
Camp (as alluded to so far) is also so much about the people! I am in love with our family – everyone individually and all of us as a whole. Camp is where I get to have everyone and we all get to have each other. The outside world can’t touch us while we are lost in the playing, the cooking, the eating, the swimming, the cleaning, the napping…the loving. There is safety and an indescribable beauty to that feeling. I feel so amazingly lucky.
In all, I have to say that I have always felt an utter sense of renewal from being at camp. It is a feeling I have never consistently gotten from any other one place. Camp is the perfect combination of the things that feed my soul!

2 comments:

  1. I love that my children have never known life without Camp. Your great-grandfather and great-grandmother, and in turn your beautiful grandmother fought hard and sacrificed a lot to never let us have to know what it would be like without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good. It really describes camp!

    ReplyDelete